lake

lake
"Park iLife" - Joe Webb Art

Thursday, April 2, 2015

Fear of Missing out? Hyperreality: An Exploration of Why We Post and What it Does to Us


In my Media Theory class, we have talked about how sometimes signs, symbols, and icons can mean more to people than the reality they represent. This idea is sometimes referred to in academia as hyperreality.

 
Sock Images from Hotsox.com

We talked about how the commodification and digital circulation of art (such as the Mona Lisa, which can be found on clothing, billboards, websites and more) and images of monuments (such as the golden gate bridge, statue of liberty, or eiffel tower) can be valued more than the original. We discussed how circulating the image so widely can mean that if/when the object is seen in its original form, it doesn’t often meet the hype of its popularity.

Image Source


Personally, I notice this affecting my perception of reality. Sometimes in nature when I see something beautiful I find myself saying “that doesn’t look real!”. Or I find myself comparing physical reality to digital symbols-- saying that something looks like a picture I’ve seen, or mentally imposing emojis into a situation.


The Rocky Horror Picture Show from emoji'd screencaps


Beyond seeing how growing up with access to virtual reality has partially shaped my perception of the world, this discussion in my theory class got me thinking about social media and online profiles as a sort of collection of symbols for ourselves. For example, often at concerts or other events I notice people snap-chatting the event more than actually participating, or spending a whole occasion just taking photos.


Image Source: Vivvid on Tumblr
I have definitely met people who I feel portray themselves online very differently from how I encounter them in embodied reality. As I mentioned in my post “Can an Aura be Liked, Tweeted, or Reblogged?”, Nancy Baym says that, “Authentic self representation is not always a simple question of true and false”. As I touched on in my other post, “Embracing Electronic Escapism”, Virtual spaces can act as a safe space for people to explore different facets of their identity. In Walther & Park’s Handbook for Interpersonal Communication, they claim that instead of having a binary of the online vs. real self, we should see both virtual and physical selves as one continuum of expression. As much as I acknowledge and support this idea, I can’t help but notice how these online entities change the way we interact interpersonally.

Image Source


As I observe people engaging in social media more frequently, I notice that embodied activities become repurposed for documentation as symbols of “fun” or “involvement” rather than actually participating for the sake of being present. “FoMO” or “Fear of Missing Out” is a phenomenon widely written about regarding social anxiety induced by being constantly bombarded by updates and images of people’s sensationalized lives. In Daniel Miller’s “Tales From Facebook” one woman openly admits attending social events with the main purpose of trying to get a cool new profile picture. One example from my own life was my senior prom. Below is a picture of me before going to the actual dance. I spent a good amount of time picking out a dress, curling my hair, etc. A bunch of friends met up before hand at an different location than the dance for the sole purpose of taking pictures. To be honest, I was more interested in taking pictures than the actual dance itself. It is such a customary action, I didn’t even stop to question the silliness of it.


Senior Prom, 2013

Now I want to be very clear that I am not trying to shame anyone who takes photos or uses social media to share events in their life-- I do this all the time! Even though getting all dressed up to take pictures rather than simply enjoy others’ company is silly, it was pretty fun. The point I’m trying to make in connecting hyperreality to our social media usage, is that I think it is healthy for me to be more aware of my actions and make sure that when I am documenting my life I am appreciating the present in conjunction. Engaging in virtual reality doesn’t have to be “fake” or detract from our embodied lives, but I believe that it takes using media mindfully, in moderation, to ensure so. 

Here’s something I’ve been trying: Next time you reach for your phone to take a picture of something, maybe try to meditate for a moment on the purpose for capturing the image, and again on the purpose for sharing it. Does this intention align with your values? Uplift others? Enhance the experience of the moment? Generally make you feel good?

If you find yourself reflecting in this way, I would love for you to use the hashtag #mediamindfully so I can see your post and maybe read about your intention for it!



No comments:

Post a Comment