lake

lake
"Park iLife" - Joe Webb Art

Thursday, February 12, 2015

From Birth to Death: Blurring Lines of Public & Private on Facebook

I moved on from being a teenager this Monday. It was a really heart warming birthday. I celebrated with my friends by having a pasta potluck party. There were about 17 of us all congregated in the little kitchen of my dorm hall. We talked, made music, cooked together, and shared in celebration. When it neared dessert time, my friend Caroline chimed us to silence with a fork to her mug of pasta, cleared her throat, and announced that everyone should go around and say their favorite memory of a time with me. It nearly brought me to tears to hear stories I had forgotten about, descriptions of college friends’ first time meeting me, and recollections of some serious shared experiences. I felt so much love, and so much gratitude for such thoughtful people in my life.


                  On my birthday, I also received many text messages, Facebook messages & wall posts, and Instagram posts & comments. And by many, I mean well over a hundred. It was nice to have electronic communication to be able to receive birthday wishes from friends and family back home in California, and all around the world.



This is normal these days! Usually when a friend of mine on social media has a birthday, their wall is filled with a huge influx of birthday posts, because Facebook notifies us of our friends’ birthdays. These posts made me very happy, and were much appreciated, but (probably because of my critical eye toward interpersonal communication right now) I can’t help but question if the majority were posted out of some sort of implicit social media code, implying obligatory birthday-wall-commentary. Good portions of birthday wishes on Facebook are simply a “happy birthday” on the person's wall, with nothing else. For me, these were from high school acquaintances or people I know on campus at L&C, but not too well. 


Contrastingly, some close friends would post more detailed wishes for me, post pictures of us, or write about things they value in me. The posts that were special and tailored to me made me feel so loved, similarly to the feeling I got face to face with my friends at the pasta party.

                  By analyzing how people communicated with me on my birthday, I began to question a concept that we discussed in class a couple of weeks ago, inspired by Nancy Baym: today there is a fine line between interpersonal communication (between two or a few known persons) and mass communication. Social media sites, like Facebook, can be used for both, and often blend both by intermingling private and public conversation. For example, all of my birthday posts were directed to me, but because there is a custom of doing wall posts-- all of my friends could see all of these expressed sentiments. Birthdays aren’t the only time this happens though.

Last year, my community at home experienced two shocking and devastating deaths. Two boys I went to high school with died in separate accidents a few months a part. I found out about them through Facebook. There is a unique, modern cultural mourning process that I have witnessed in these two instances, and more: their loved ones use the Internet to continue talking to the deceased. In the case of the two boys from my high school, not only did I find out about their passing via the Internet, but I also learned how it all happened as the stories and relationships of their life unfolded publicly. Friends and family would post daily, saying such kind, real, emotional, raw things to the deceased via their Facebook, as if they could read it. Some very intimate memories were shared; open expressions of grief and despair paralleled with silly memories on their Facebook walls. Friends and family commented on each other’s posts thanking them for sharing and wishing each other strength and support. At one point, Facebook was used to raise money for the family of the deceased and organize a memorial service.

Witnessing this congregation of community online after horrible tragedy was both inspiring, and perplexing. The support and emotional release I saw was beautiful, but I couldn’t help but feel almost intrusively voyeuristic reading into their relationships. I then started to feel disheartened about their digital world forever lingering on at our disposal; their profile picture never changing again, their last status being their final post. Looking at their profiles can still bring me to tears. 

The lines of public and private have really blurred in the modern age. Considering the celebration of birth, the coping with death, and even just making plans with friends-- so much of this is done on the Facebook “wall,” which does belong to an individual, but is public to all. Are we posting for the person or for the people watching? Is it exposing or liberating to bring up really intimate details in this way? Why do we feel compelled to address friends, both alive and deceased, about personal matters in a public way?



All of this said, I’m big on wall posts; I almost always post to friends’ walls on their birthday, or make an Instagram post with a silly old picture of them and a list of things I love about them. It’s fun. It makes us feel special and loved to be in the virtual spotlight. I think that reflecting on my birthday and my experience of losing acquaintances has reminded me that it is powerful and important to spread positivity and kindness via technology, in a way that brings people together and reminds us of our worth and our humanity. I also feel prompted to make sure my messages are crafted in a way that is mindful of all who will potentially see them. We have powerful social tools at our fingertips; I am inspired to make online interaction more meaningful.

Have you had similar experiences of witnessing very personal online interactions that you weren't a part of? Have you dealt with loss through mourning online? Do you love or disdain Facebook birthday posts? 


No comments:

Post a Comment